Environmental Sustainability


As a signatory country to the Convention on Biological Diversity, The Bahamas joins 168 countries in the implementa­tion of the Program of Work on Protected Areas. The Program of Work is part of the Bahamian Government’s commitment to the expansion of the national park system to include up to 10 percent of the terrestrial areas and 10 percent of the near-shore marine resources of the country. Through the Caribbean Challenge, The Bahamas has committed to an additional 10 percent of near-shore marine habitats to conservation, for a combined total of 20 percent.


One Eleuthera and its partners will seek to develop a land use and Conservation Area Plan (CAP) for the island. We will also seek to develop a gen­eral management plan for the proposed Land and Sea Parks and preserves.


The purpose of our environmental initiative is to ensure that Eleuthera has a sustainable future and develops in scale with our resources.


Protection of Lighthouse Point & Big Pond

Environmental Sustainability

This pristine place of outstanding beauty is currently not protected and is being marketed as a potential site for gated development. This much-loved part of the island is in current danger of being ruined forever if it is not PROTECTED NOW.

Lighthouse Point is one of the most popular beach and recreation areas in the entire Bahamas.

The diversity of the Eco system and the hugely important cultural and historic resources are irreplaceable and should be preserved for the enjoyment and education of the entire community and not just for a select few.

Archaeological and scientific findings to this point have been significant. It is reported to be one of the most important unexplored archaeological and scientific sites in the Bahamas. 


To acquire protection for Lighthouse Point while incorporating plans for its economic potential that will retain access to the area by locals and visitors.


Petition the government to pass legislation for the protection of Lighthouse Point and ensure enforcement.

Associated Member Groups: 
Bahamas Reef Environment Education Foundation (BREEF)

A Shared Vision

The Shared Vision for South Eleuthera, which was first commissioned by Friends of Lighthouse Point to develop a sustainable plan for Lighthouse Point and other special heritage and conservation sites on Eleuthera, inspired the formation of One Eleuthera.

Download Pdf